Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Malaysia: Ban on imported fruits and vegetablesAll farmer's markets and national agribusiness terminal outlets will be permitted from selling imported vegetables by 2015, said Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Noh Omar. The move is intended to protect local growers.
"I've discussed this with the Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (Fama), and that from 2015, all farmers' markets and Teman outlets should source their vegetables locally.
"The move will indirectly encourage productivity in the country's agricultural sector.
"If we market products from outside, then all the efforts to set up farmers' markets and Teman outlets would be rendered meaningless," he said.
He said that the ministry was also encouraging farmers to utilise modenr technology in order to advance their productivity.
"At the moment, 40 per cent of vegetables sold at Teman outlets are from the neighbouring countries.
"These vegetables are also grown in our country, and that's why from that year onward, we want vegetables which are available in the country to be sourced locally and sold at Teman outlets," he said.
To increase local productivity, he said the ministry through Fama had identified 2,000 farmers' market operators to come together and run a contract farming project.
"If an operator has five farmers under him, the ministry will help them to obtain instant loans and other facilities to carry out vegetable farming," he said.
Publication date: 3/29/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: