Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Malaysia: Ban on imported fruits and vegetablesAll farmer's markets and national agribusiness terminal outlets will be permitted from selling imported vegetables by 2015, said Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Noh Omar. The move is intended to protect local growers.
"I've discussed this with the Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (Fama), and that from 2015, all farmers' markets and Teman outlets should source their vegetables locally.
"The move will indirectly encourage productivity in the country's agricultural sector.
"If we market products from outside, then all the efforts to set up farmers' markets and Teman outlets would be rendered meaningless," he said.
He said that the ministry was also encouraging farmers to utilise modenr technology in order to advance their productivity.
"At the moment, 40 per cent of vegetables sold at Teman outlets are from the neighbouring countries.
"These vegetables are also grown in our country, and that's why from that year onward, we want vegetables which are available in the country to be sourced locally and sold at Teman outlets," he said.
To increase local productivity, he said the ministry through Fama had identified 2,000 farmers' market operators to come together and run a contract farming project.
"If an operator has five farmers under him, the ministry will help them to obtain instant loans and other facilities to carry out vegetable farming," he said.
Publication date: 3/29/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: