Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Road transport activities grow despite crisisGerard Mostert started a transport agency in Valencia in 1991. After years of experience in the fruit and vegetable trade the link with fruit and vegetable transport from Spain to Holland was quickly made. "The first few years I was mainly supporting two Dutch transporters, who now no longer exist, but in the course of the years Betrex Espana s.a. has grown into a full transport agency", says Gerard.
Although Betrex doesn't have its own cars, the company has 25 to 30 vehciles on the road daily, of which 75% are cooling cars. "80% of our activities consists of transport from Spain to Holland and vice versa, but we also have customers in Germany, Belgium, and the UK and have been organising fruit transport from Greece for the past few years", says Gerard. A fellow transporter recently said to AGF.nl, FreshPlaza's Dutch sister company, that road transport from Spain is becoming redundant, but the transporter doesn't believe that. "The 'dry' transport might be done by boat or train, but shipping can't match the flexibility of road transport in fruit and vegetable transport."
"The transport prices have increased a lot recently. Spanish exporters and Dutch importers don't always understand that they have to pay the same amount for a half full load as they did for a full load a few years ago, but Spain is dealing with a severe economic crisis. It also hasn't gotten easier with the new driving times law, violations of which are heavily fined. This makes it more expensive."
Despite the current market condition Betrex is growing against the stream. "In the past few years our volume has grown by around 30%. Three years ago we built a new office complex and this year we'll extend again", says Gerard. His explanation is as simple as it is effective. "We try to do our work as best as possible and are do our job seriously, but with pleasure, everyday. We also know our customers well and are good at anticipating potential problems."
For more information:
Betrex Expana S.A.
Carrer Barranc 24b
46711 Guardamar de La Safor
Publication date: 3/28/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: