Job offersmore »
- General Manager: Saudi Greenhouses Management & Agri Marketing Co.
- Plant Specialist with focus on Ornamentals & young plants - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist with focus on Cityfarming - Netherlands
- Head Grower Soft Fruit, USA or Spain/Portugal
- Research & Knowledge Transfer Manager - United Kingdom
- Greenhouse Grower - Ontario, Canada
- Marketing Communications Officer - Saudi Arabia
- West Europe Territory Manager - Europe
- Director of Business Development - UK
- Manager Operations & Logistics - Ethiopia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tacler Livestreammore »
Costa Rica: Drought affects banana exports
The lack of rain in the banana producing areas during January and February of this year led to a fall of 26.81% in the value of these exports and a 23.62% in volume.
According to data from the Foreign Trade Promoter (Procomer) in the first two months of the year, $88 million was accumulated due to the 242,384 metric tons that were exported.
Jorge Sauma, general manager of the National Banana Corporation (Corbana), explained that although the decrease in temperature has also affected some crops, droughts are the main cause for this down fall.
This kind of climate has affected plantations since last year. However, 2011 ended with record exports for the industry: about $803 million.
Banana exports have fallen mainly to European countries like Germany and Sweden, but have been increasing to destinations such as Russia and Spain, according to data from Procomer.
Publication date: 3/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: