Job offersmore »
- Ein- und Verkäufer - Germany
- Banana Production Specialist / Agricultural Consultants Bananas -
- Senior Grower - United Kingdom
- Export Manager - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Production manager Pepper (FT) - Israel or the Netherlands
- Associate Breeder Cucumber (FT) - Haelen, the Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Manager - Australia
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Technical and Business Development Manager - Australia
- Fresh Produce Trader/Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Carrefour grows in Italy for first time in five years
- Joint initiative for Global Food Security through good agricultural practices
- Michelle Obama vows to quit 'French fries'
- Convenience singles out the most popular fruit and vegetables in UK
- Affordable cold chain solutions to protect valuable assets
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
The arrival of the first extra early potatoes and early ones to the market, will meet the abundant surplus from last year´s harvest. This situation has caused a decline in its cultivation and could cause price suppression for the next season.
According to sources from the agricultural organizations and cooperatives consulted by Efeagro, in Andalusia, crop zones have been reduced by 20%. Also there is fear of the effect that the frost might have had, which has also been felt in Mallorca and other regions of the earliest production areas.
In Castilla and Leon, there is uncertainty among producers that now have to plant, because if the drought continues they could face irrigation problems.
With these constraints, the sector expects lower production that could result in a price recovery over the collapse recorded in last year´s campaign, due to the abundant European production. Although, the surplus could lead again to the fall in prices.
Publication date: 3/15/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: