Job offersmore »
- Grower Specialty Peppers - Almeria, Spain
- Research Scientist, Ornamental Breeding - Canada (ON)
- Marketingassistent - The Netherlands
- Sales Representative (M/F) - Northern England
- Technical / New-Business-Development-Manager - UK, Netherlands, Belgium
- Growing Supervisor - Australia
- Group Controller - Netherlands
- European Sales Manager - UK
- Business Director Northern and Western Europe - The Netherlands
- Farmmanager Production Youngplants - Portugal
Top 5 - yesterday
- Russia opened doors for Mexican berries, avocados and lemons
- Morrisons is expected to lose 25% profit
- Lactic acid bacteria to improve safety and shelf-life of fresh cut fruit and vegetables
- How RPCs help reduce food waste while focusing on produce protection
- Import requirements for Medfly host commodities from Chile
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tacler Livestreammore »
The arrival of the first extra early potatoes and early ones to the market, will meet the abundant surplus from last year´s harvest. This situation has caused a decline in its cultivation and could cause price suppression for the next season.
According to sources from the agricultural organizations and cooperatives consulted by Efeagro, in Andalusia, crop zones have been reduced by 20%. Also there is fear of the effect that the frost might have had, which has also been felt in Mallorca and other regions of the earliest production areas.
In Castilla and Leon, there is uncertainty among producers that now have to plant, because if the drought continues they could face irrigation problems.
With these constraints, the sector expects lower production that could result in a price recovery over the collapse recorded in last year´s campaign, due to the abundant European production. Although, the surplus could lead again to the fall in prices.
Publication date: 3/15/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: