Job offersmore »
- Technical Outside Sales Representative - Ontario, Canada / Northeast US
- Crop Production Manager / Agronomists / Operations Manager - Gambia
- Production Manager - Tasmania
- Dispatch Team Leader - Australia
- Market Development Manager - Russia
- Commercial Manager (Spanish speaking) - UK
- Operations Manager - United States
- Export produce trader – French market - Spain
- International Marketer - Netherlands
- Breeders, Soy, Corn and Sugar Cane Division - Brazil
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Russia bans fruit, veg imports from U.S., EU, Australia, Canada and Norway
- Russian ban: what is the effect per EU country?
- Another shipment of Egyptian potatoes blocked by Russia
- Maersk unveils low-sulphur surcharge, but customers of other carriers must wait
- Russia’s ban gives Latin America opportunities
Exchange ratesmore »
The arrival of the first extra early potatoes and early ones to the market, will meet the abundant surplus from last year´s harvest. This situation has caused a decline in its cultivation and could cause price suppression for the next season.
According to sources from the agricultural organizations and cooperatives consulted by Efeagro, in Andalusia, crop zones have been reduced by 20%. Also there is fear of the effect that the frost might have had, which has also been felt in Mallorca and other regions of the earliest production areas.
In Castilla and Leon, there is uncertainty among producers that now have to plant, because if the drought continues they could face irrigation problems.
With these constraints, the sector expects lower production that could result in a price recovery over the collapse recorded in last year´s campaign, due to the abundant European production. Although, the surplus could lead again to the fall in prices.
Publication date: 3/15/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: