Job offersmore »
- Research Assistant Marker Assisted Breeding Pepper - Nunhem, the Netherlands
- Tomato/Cucumber Chief Grower - Kazakhstan
- Production Manager Pepper - Nunhem, the Netherlands
- Greenhouse Grower - Chicago, IL
- Product Specialist Zaailingen - Hendrik Ido Ambacht, the Netherlands
- Sales-Manager Scherming - the Netherlands
- Senior Grower - Australia
- Australia: Supply Chain Co-ordinator/QC Officer
- Marketing and Sales Manager - U.S.A. and Canada
- Sales Representative, Horticulture - Delta, BC - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- U.S. Apple Association will support customers’ right to choose or not choose GMO
- Safeway and Albertsons announce definitive merger agreement
- Scientists of EU Project QUAFETY return to tacler in November
- "Russian importers are currently under great pressure"
- "European retailers want programs with Israeli growers"
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
The arrival of the first extra early potatoes and early ones to the market, will meet the abundant surplus from last year´s harvest. This situation has caused a decline in its cultivation and could cause price suppression for the next season.
According to sources from the agricultural organizations and cooperatives consulted by Efeagro, in Andalusia, crop zones have been reduced by 20%. Also there is fear of the effect that the frost might have had, which has also been felt in Mallorca and other regions of the earliest production areas.
In Castilla and Leon, there is uncertainty among producers that now have to plant, because if the drought continues they could face irrigation problems.
With these constraints, the sector expects lower production that could result in a price recovery over the collapse recorded in last year´s campaign, due to the abundant European production. Although, the surplus could lead again to the fall in prices.
Publication date: 3/15/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: