Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Netherlands: Vlissingen open for 750 million bananas
Transshipment Continental Stevedoring Company (CSC) in Vlissingen, has succeeded in getting an important fruit consignment. With the advent of a new weekly service of Seatrade in South and Central America, the company expects to deal with 750 million bananas annually. This will increase transshipment in Zeeland ports by some 100,000 tons. This is confirmation of the strong position, now held by the ports of Zeeland in the storage and handling of fruit, in addition fruit from Chile and South Africa have recently come to Vlissingen.
The bananas come from Colombia and Costa Rica. Weekly, one of Seatrade's special ships from the seaports of Puerto Limon, Turbo and Santa Marta make the crossing to Vlissingen where the bananas will be unloaded stored and redistributed by the firm CSC. On the outbound trip St. Martin and Guadeloupe will also be visited with part loaded containers.
According to Seatrade, Vlissingen was chosen because of its favourable location in terms of crossing and connection to the motorway network. The port features specialized cargo handling such as CSC with terminals that are especially suitable for the treatment of this type of load. Also playing a role is the fact that Zeeland is working according to the principle of Quality 360. An important condition for
The 'banana boats' from Seatrade ensure that the total throughput of the Zeeland ports will increase by 100,000 tons. Vlissingen and Terneuzen last year accounted for a throughput of 35.5 million tons. In comparison, the port of Rotterdam in 2011 hit 434.6 million tons of cargo, the port of Amsterdam 74.8 million tons.
Publication date: 3/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: