Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Tomato grower shuns supermarketsA tomato grower from Victoria is turning his back on supermarkets and wholesalers and selling his produce at the farm gate.
Grower John Weigard says he is still making just as much money as when he travelled to the wholesale market in Melbourne.
For one thing he no longer has to worry about overheads or about dealing with supermarkets- especially as price cuts are making things uncertain.
"It was difficult to get a fair price from supermarkets," he said.
"I gave it away after 30 years of growing them and I thought if I do this again, I'll market them differently, and that's why I sell at the front gate."
Publication date: 2/29/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: