Job offersmore »
- Junior Buyer / Seller - Spain
- Product Manager - Netherlands
- Technical Support Specialist - USA
- Manager Product Development - UK
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Graduate Grower - Tomatoes - Australia
- Crop advisor - Canada
- Horticultural and Hydroponic Sales Specialist - Western Canada
- Greenhouse Manager Tomato and Strawberry - Azerbaijan
- Algemeen Directeur
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Tomato grower shuns supermarketsA tomato grower from Victoria is turning his back on supermarkets and wholesalers and selling his produce at the farm gate.
Grower John Weigard says he is still making just as much money as when he travelled to the wholesale market in Melbourne.
For one thing he no longer has to worry about overheads or about dealing with supermarkets- especially as price cuts are making things uncertain.
"It was difficult to get a fair price from supermarkets," he said.
"I gave it away after 30 years of growing them and I thought if I do this again, I'll market them differently, and that's why I sell at the front gate."
Publication date: 2/29/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: