Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit ScandinaviŽ en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Malaysia lifts border controls on Taiwanese fruit juiceMalaysia has removed border controls on Taiwanese foods, ahead of the originally scheduled date.
11 different foodstuffs have seen their restrictions lifted, including fruit drinks.
Malaysia was the last of five major overseas markets -- after China, Hong Kong, South Korea and Singapore -- to announce that it would withdraw an order demanding that Taiwanese food exporters provide official certification proving their products were plasticizer-free.
Singapore recently announced that it would remove the restriction starting March 1, following similar moves by China, Hong Kong and South Korea last year. With Malaysia's latest announcement, the saga of a food safety storm that engulfed Taiwan in May 2011 finally came to a close.
The restrictions initially came about when it was discovered that some manufacturers were using plasticizers as an ingredient in their clouding agents, to lower costs.
When traces of plasticizers were discovered in many common processed foods and beverages, Taiwan's government took immediate action to crack down on the use of plasticizer-tainted clouding agents in foods. Massive recalls were ordered, and a certification system was installed to ensure that food and beverages on store shelves were not contaminated. The government announced last week, on Feb. 17, that certain food items, such as juices and fruit jams and syrups, produced after Aug. 1, 2011, would no longer have to provide official plasticizer-free certification after March 1, 2012.
Publication date: 2/27/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: