Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Industry worth $1 billion and 8,283 jobs
Canada: Report shows value of potaotes to PEIAn economic impact study has suggested that the potato industry is worth $1 billion to the Prince Edward Island economy.
The study, which was released by the Prince Edward Island potato board showed that the sector was responsible for the provision of $245 million in household income and generated 8,283 jobs, or 12.1% of employment in the province and 10.8% of gross domestic product in the province.
The aim of the study was to show government and the island inhabitants the importance of the industry and the value of continued investment in its success.
It examined direct and indirect benefits of potato growing.
"Relative to other provinces, potatoes contribute more here than any other economy in Canada, so it's very significant," said Greg Donald, the board's general manager.
The significance of the industry is such that it is known worldwide, said Malpeque MP Wayne Easter.
"I mean, we have a reputation and we have to keep that reputation and build on it," Easter said.
growers hope that the report will help the public to understand just how important to their area the potato industry is.
The board said that the last few years had been good for the industry, but cited challenges for the future, including the high cost of transportation.
Publication date: 2/27/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: