Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Venomous spider found in supermarket bananasAn Edinburgh shop worker found a wandering spider, otherwise known as a banana spider, crawling out of bananas in an Asda store earlier this week.
The spider, which comes from Colombia, and has a 10cm leg span, is venomous and can deliver a nasty bite, though it is not likely to prove fatal.
Shop workers trapped the spider in a jar and called the Scottish SPCA. It was taken to the Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World where it later died.
Kevin Thom, of Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World, said: "It isn't deadly but its venom contains high levels of serotonin.
"If bitten you would experience pain, swelling, muscle spasms and flu-like symptoms which could be very unpleasant, depending on the amount of venom that was injected."
Publication date: 2/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: