Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Venomous spider found in supermarket bananasAn Edinburgh shop worker found a wandering spider, otherwise known as a banana spider, crawling out of bananas in an Asda store earlier this week.
The spider, which comes from Colombia, and has a 10cm leg span, is venomous and can deliver a nasty bite, though it is not likely to prove fatal.
Shop workers trapped the spider in a jar and called the Scottish SPCA. It was taken to the Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World where it later died.
Kevin Thom, of Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World, said: "It isn't deadly but its venom contains high levels of serotonin.
"If bitten you would experience pain, swelling, muscle spasms and flu-like symptoms which could be very unpleasant, depending on the amount of venom that was injected."
Publication date: 2/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: