Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "US agriculture has failed to benefit from the Korean Free Trade Agreement"
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Photo report New York Produce show
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Venomous spider found in supermarket bananasAn Edinburgh shop worker found a wandering spider, otherwise known as a banana spider, crawling out of bananas in an Asda store earlier this week.
The spider, which comes from Colombia, and has a 10cm leg span, is venomous and can deliver a nasty bite, though it is not likely to prove fatal.
Shop workers trapped the spider in a jar and called the Scottish SPCA. It was taken to the Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World where it later died.
Kevin Thom, of Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World, said: "It isn't deadly but its venom contains high levels of serotonin.
"If bitten you would experience pain, swelling, muscle spasms and flu-like symptoms which could be very unpleasant, depending on the amount of venom that was injected."
Publication date: 2/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: