Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Safmarine welcomes first of three new WAFMAX vessels in 2012Shipping line Safmarine has announced the delivery of the 4500 teu Safmarine Chilka, the first of three new Safmarine-branded WAFMAX containerships to join the A.P Moller-Maersk fleet in 2012.
The vessel has been purpose-built for the trade with Africa and has been deployed on the Far East – Africa trade.
The Safmarine Chilka – which has a crew complement of nine – is also the first of a series of container vessels from Hyundai Heavy Industries to be fitted with super-long-stroke main engines and a waste heat recovery system to reduce emissions and save fuel.
According to Grant Daly, Safmarine CEO, “Twenty-three new Safmarine-branded vessels have joined the A.P. Moller-Maersk fleet since 2004, which represents a significant investment in the Safmarine brand.
“Not only are these vessels an example of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group’s commitment to growing and strengthening the Safmarine brand and our trade with Africa, but they are also among the most modern in the industry today, thanks to new technology which is far kinder to the environment.”
The new ship features a white hull, a distinctive feature of all Safmarine containerships.
“Using environmentally-friendly paints to paint our ships white is not only a characteristic of all Safmarine container vessels, but it also benefits energy conservation as it lowers the ambient temperature in the holds were reefer boxes are carried – and this means less energy is needed for cooling and less electricity consumed,” Daly said.
For more information:
Tel: + 27 21 788 9962/3
Publication date: 2/21/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: