Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Safmarine welcomes first of three new WAFMAX vessels in 2012Shipping line Safmarine has announced the delivery of the 4500 teu Safmarine Chilka, the first of three new Safmarine-branded WAFMAX containerships to join the A.P Moller-Maersk fleet in 2012.
The vessel has been purpose-built for the trade with Africa and has been deployed on the Far East – Africa trade.
The Safmarine Chilka – which has a crew complement of nine – is also the first of a series of container vessels from Hyundai Heavy Industries to be fitted with super-long-stroke main engines and a waste heat recovery system to reduce emissions and save fuel.
According to Grant Daly, Safmarine CEO, “Twenty-three new Safmarine-branded vessels have joined the A.P. Moller-Maersk fleet since 2004, which represents a significant investment in the Safmarine brand.
“Not only are these vessels an example of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group’s commitment to growing and strengthening the Safmarine brand and our trade with Africa, but they are also among the most modern in the industry today, thanks to new technology which is far kinder to the environment.”
The new ship features a white hull, a distinctive feature of all Safmarine containerships.
“Using environmentally-friendly paints to paint our ships white is not only a characteristic of all Safmarine container vessels, but it also benefits energy conservation as it lowers the ambient temperature in the holds were reefer boxes are carried – and this means less energy is needed for cooling and less electricity consumed,” Daly said.
For more information:
Tel: + 27 21 788 9962/3
Publication date: 2/21/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: