Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mozambique: Local potatoes sold as Malawian producePotatoes produced in Tsangano district in the western province of Tete, are being purchased by Malawian traders who then place them in sacks bearing the words "Product of Malawi."
The Malawians cross the border and buy potatoes from Tsangano peasants, paying for them with Malawian currency, the kwacha. They then deceive the consumer by announcing that the goods come from Malawi.
This behaviour was confirmed by a joint team from the Tsangano district government and the Tete provincial directorates of agriculture and of industry and trade, after receiving complaints from Tsangano farmers.
The provincial director of agriculture, Americo da Conceicao, said the Malawian mislabelling was unacceptable to the commercial relations between the two countries, and required urgent corrective measures. He noted that the false labels made the Malawians look like major producers of potatoes when the goods are in fact Mozambican.
The measures now being taken include a ban on Malawian sacks, and the provision of Mozambican sacks of 100 and of 50 kilos.
Publication date: 2/16/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: