Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Don't put all nuts in one basket
India: Cashew growers urged to expandSampath Samrajya, a member of the board of management at the University of Horticultural Science, Bagalkot, had a few words of advice for cashew growers last week. He was speaking at the inauguration of the cashew field day at the horticultural research station at the university in Mangalore when he said that there was a need to consider growing the crop in non traditional areas.
This comes as a result of having to import African nuts to make up a shortfall in required amounts in India. Samrayja said there was a strong potential fro cashew nut production in the area.
He also called on growers to look at their production as in some areas - Maharashtra for example - yields were as high as 1,200kg per hectare, whilst in others they could be as low as 500kg per hectare.
He did stress however, the need to avoid over dependence on cashews and encouraged crop diversification. He said that multiple crop production would ensure growers could survive a crop failure or a price crash.
Publication date: 2/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: