Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigeria: Growth in cashew industry could create 300,000 jobsThe Cashew Nut Association of Nigeria has ambitious growth plans for its industry - 400,000 tons per annum by the close of 2012. Currently the amount produced is closer to 10,000 tons. Quite a boost, but that is the plan of Association President, Tola Faseru.
Faseru says that the growth will be very good for the country's economy - 1,000 new businesses are expected to start up as a result of increased cashew production. These, it is anticipated, will secure permanent employment for 300,000 people, in an industry that already employs a similar number.
Unemployment is a major issue in Nigeria so this is welcome news indeed. The new jobs would not just be in directly agricultural roles, but also in processing, roasting, salting and packaging for example.
Publication date: 2/13/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: