Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "US agriculture has failed to benefit from the Korean Free Trade Agreement"
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Photo report New York Produce show
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigeria: Growth in cashew industry could create 300,000 jobsThe Cashew Nut Association of Nigeria has ambitious growth plans for its industry - 400,000 tons per annum by the close of 2012. Currently the amount produced is closer to 10,000 tons. Quite a boost, but that is the plan of Association President, Tola Faseru.
Faseru says that the growth will be very good for the country's economy - 1,000 new businesses are expected to start up as a result of increased cashew production. These, it is anticipated, will secure permanent employment for 300,000 people, in an industry that already employs a similar number.
Unemployment is a major issue in Nigeria so this is welcome news indeed. The new jobs would not just be in directly agricultural roles, but also in processing, roasting, salting and packaging for example.
Publication date: 2/13/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: