Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigeria: Growth in cashew industry could create 300,000 jobsThe Cashew Nut Association of Nigeria has ambitious growth plans for its industry - 400,000 tons per annum by the close of 2012. Currently the amount produced is closer to 10,000 tons. Quite a boost, but that is the plan of Association President, Tola Faseru.
Faseru says that the growth will be very good for the country's economy - 1,000 new businesses are expected to start up as a result of increased cashew production. These, it is anticipated, will secure permanent employment for 300,000 people, in an industry that already employs a similar number.
Unemployment is a major issue in Nigeria so this is welcome news indeed. The new jobs would not just be in directly agricultural roles, but also in processing, roasting, salting and packaging for example.
Publication date: 2/13/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: