Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Seed potatoes from Mecklenburg-Vor-Pommern for North KoreaThe German organisation Welthungerhilfe, which fights against hunger and poverty in the world, has recently ordered 164 tons of early potatoes from a seed cultivation company in the German federal state of Mecklenburg-Vor-Pommern. From the town of Stretense 235 tons of potatoes recently left by ship for North Korea. It will take about 5 weeks before the potatoes arrive there.
Despite the recent administrative changes in North Korea the country remains isolated both politically and economically. Only 20% of the land area of North Korea is suitable for agriculture. This fact combined with a total population of about 24 million causes food shortages every year. Amongst other deliveiries the potatoes from Stretense are meant to alleviate the food shortage.
In total 15,000 tons of potatoes of the variety 'Juwel' will be shipped during the coming period, as this variety is suitable for the soil and climate of North Korea. They will be planted on arrival. Welthungerhilfe with this delivery wants to take care of a durable improvement of the food supply during the period when, ordinarily speaking, there are shortages.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: