Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Deluge causes millions of dollars in crop damage in Queensland
- Washington now ranks No.1 in America for blueberry production
- Dollar shortage, not promotion of local industry, behind Zimbabwe ban decision
- Indian grape sector in Nashik hit by rainfall
- World record breaking carrot weighs in at 23 pounds
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Seed potatoes from Mecklenburg-Vor-Pommern for North KoreaThe German organisation Welthungerhilfe, which fights against hunger and poverty in the world, has recently ordered 164 tons of early potatoes from a seed cultivation company in the German federal state of Mecklenburg-Vor-Pommern. From the town of Stretense 235 tons of potatoes recently left by ship for North Korea. It will take about 5 weeks before the potatoes arrive there.
Despite the recent administrative changes in North Korea the country remains isolated both politically and economically. Only 20% of the land area of North Korea is suitable for agriculture. This fact combined with a total population of about 24 million causes food shortages every year. Amongst other deliveiries the potatoes from Stretense are meant to alleviate the food shortage.
In total 15,000 tons of potatoes of the variety 'Juwel' will be shipped during the coming period, as this variety is suitable for the soil and climate of North Korea. They will be planted on arrival. Welthungerhilfe with this delivery wants to take care of a durable improvement of the food supply during the period when, ordinarily speaking, there are shortages.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: