Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Losing ground in the global market
Uruguay: Citrus exports are reducedIn the last seven years the competitiveness of Uruguayan citrus fell sharply against major competitors such as Chile, Peru and South Africa.
The reason is that the production of these competitors, enters the European Union (the world's largest market) with zero tariffs; while the Uruguayan fruit enters the same market paying a 12.5% tariff on wholesale price. This situation intensifies even more when tariff preferences are lost, which increases the payment between 16% and 17.5%.
This year, the Uruguayan citrus exports fell by 20% and the biggest drop was in the tangerine sector, which recorded a decline in export of 13,000 tons, according to the Bureau of Agricultural Planning and Policy (OPYPA). As a result, the production of that country was in fifth place as an exporter, losing the third place which it occupied for the last 5 years.
This year, the Latin American bloc produced 6.49 million tons of citrus, a volume that represents a drop of 0.6% for 2010 and 17.3% from the 2007 harvest, according to OPYPA. Lemon production grew by 18%, grapefruit, 12%, although the orange, the most important sector, fell 8.5% and 6.23%, according to the publication,
Publication date: 1/11/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: