Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last month

Top 5 -last week



Campaign for EU quality label “Europe, where quality is at home’

A three-year promotion programme to provide information about the guaranteed origin of European quality products will start in four countries soon. It concerns the products Wine Alto Adige DOC, Südtiroler Apfel BGA, Südtiroler Speck BGA and Stilfser BOB cheese as an example.

With the three-year support programme, information will be provided regarding the quality requirements connected to the European labels BOB (Beschermde Oorsprongsbenaming, in English: Protected Designation of Origins), BGA (Beschermde Geografische Aanduiding, or Protected Geographical Indication) and DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata, Italian for Controlled Designation of Origin).

From 2018 to 2020, the campaign – with the subtitle of ‘Authentic flavours of local products’ – will provide explanations to professionals in the field of trade and gastronomy using the Wine Alto Adige DOC, Südtiroler Apfel BGA, Südtiroler Speck BGA and Stilfser BOB cheese. The campaign also informs consumers about the guarantees offered by EU quality labels and about the added value for consumers and producers. The initiators of the campaign are Consorzio Tutela Mela Alto Adige, Consorzio Tutela Speck Alto Adige, Consorzio Formaggio Stelvio and Consortium Alto Adige Wines. The programme, sponsored by the EU, consists of initiatives on the domestic Italian market and on the export markets of Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden.

Kickoff with Dutch chef Roberta Pagnier
The campaign is all about information and product experience. In the Netherlands, the programme is kicked off during an event featuring Roberta Pagnier, who has Italian roots and is known for numerous TV appearances. She focuses on cooking with pure, natural quality products. During the first quarter of 2019, two wine seminars are planned to train future wine professionals. The courses are organised by Cees van Casteren, expert of Alto Adige wines. For the campaign, they also work with influencers: various food and wine bloggers are given the opportunity to get to know the four products with EU quality label and to bear witness to the traditional and controlled production methods during educational trips to South Tyrol.

EU quality labels for guaranteed origins and quality
Quality labels of the European Union are attached to agricultural products and food that is closely connected to their region of origin, artisanal traditions and the people who produce them. The labels offer consumers the guarantee they’re buying an authentic and controlled quality product. For example, the BOB label guarantees that every step during production was carried out according to traditional methods in the region of origin. The BGA label indicates at least one step was carried out in the region of origin, according to predetermined criteria. This ensures the products are traceable, an aspect that’s becoming ever more important to consumers. This is also true for Wine Alto Adige, apples and bacon from South Tyrol, and Stilfser cheese. These products, which have the EU quality label, guarantee quality from the region of South Tyrol, and are an example of quality from Europe.

About the wine and apple quality products
The DOC designation of origin for the wines of Alto Adige has been around since 1971, and more than 98 per cent of the total wine growing area of South Tyrol is classified as DOC nowadays. All wines from the DOC region are subjected to strict quality controls such as maximum harvest and minimum alcohol and acidity contents, but many other criteria are also subjected to control. Thanks to the geographic location and the moderate, alpine, continental climate, South Tyrol is a very varied wine region with 5,400 hectares of vineyards. Twenty different varieties of grapes grow here: 60 per cent of which is white and the remaining 40 per cent is red.

Südtiroler Apfel BGA has been recognised by the EU as a protected geographical designation (BGA) since 2005. With 300 days of sunshine per year, plenty of rain in spring, and generally mild summers and autumns, the region offers ideal circumstances for growing apples at altitudes of up to 1,000 metres. This unique climate, combined with controlled, natural and organic production, gives the apples from South Tyrol their characteristic, juicy and crunchy quality. Right now, 13 varieties carry the BGA quality label: Braeburn, Elstar, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Idared, Morgenduft, Jonagold, Pinova, Red Delicious, Topaz and Winesap.

For more information:
Kwaliteit Europa
www.kwaliteiteuropa.eu


Publication date :


Print   

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2018