Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Almost 99 years old
New Zealand woman credits good health to eating bananas
Joan Bowring from Tokoroa will celebrate her 99th birthday on Wednesday. While Joan, who lives at the Victoria Place Rest Home, doesn't know for sure why she's lived so long, every day she does have a little ritual. "I eat a lot of bananas," she said. "I don't like them green but I don't like them squishy, I like them firm. I have one every day and I just eat them whether they are good or bad for me."
But good they appear to be for Joan who has never had any major illness. "I have never been in hospital for anything besides getting a new hip," she said. She also still likes to get up every morning at 6.30am to make her bed.
"Getting dressed and showering is becoming a bit of an effort, I have to get help, but when I get up there are not many about and they are only just changing shifts. Walking is an effort; I don't walk, I waddle, but I do what I can," she laughed.
According to stuff.co.nz, Joan said she never thought she'd live as long as she has. Her father died when he was 51 and her mother in her 60's.
"I never thought about it actually, you just go on and on and on. It must be the bananas.”
Publication date: 7/10/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: