Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dominican Republic: "It is time for the government to come to the aid of our banana workers"
Presidential candidate, Luis Abinader, demanded the government pay special attention to the claims of banana producers so that the Creole banana is used massively in social programs and other official entities.
After stating that banana producers were a dynamic sector of the economy, Abinader said that prices in Europe had decreased because of the normal drop in demand for this product in summer, and because there was an increase in the flow of fruit to Europe thanks to the tariff reductions applied by the World Trade Organization, which encourages competition from producers in other countries and pulls down prices in that market.
"It is time for the government to come to the aid of our banana workers, using their products in the Social Plan, Inespre, hospitals, in the military and in the police corps, in prisons, and fairs, and to assist producers in the urgent search of other alternative markets, especially in the United States," he stated.
During this period, which could last for about six months, it is necessary to freeze the collection of bank interest to decrease the negative effects that the oversupply of bananas could have on the sector, the candidate said.
Abinader highlighted the sector's economic contributions, job generation, and support to trade.
He said that the government needed to monitor the agricultural sector so that they can better help the sector in situations like this one.
Publication date: 7/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: