Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Zespri red kiwifruit two years from commercial introductionAccording to Zespri, the world is waiting for a good red kiwifruit. And surely, the national exporter hopes to deliver just that, in a couple of years. Visitors to the Zespri site can already sample the attractive red fruit, but it's taking time to fine-tune its commercial introduction, and to make the fruit viable from orchard right through to consumer markets, says chief executive Dan Mathieson.
"It's an exceptional piece of fruit with strong consumer attraction, but we're still struggling with storage [time], he said. The target storage time is twelve weeks, Zespri is currently at eight.
Currently, the sweet fruit is two years into a five-year pre-commercial trial stage. Years of red fruit plant development by Zespri was wiped out by the Psa disease epidemic in 2010-2011 and while the Zespri Red was not immune to the disease, it put up a good fight against it, a spokesperson said.
When it is commercialised, the red fruit will be able to be grown in all New Zealand kiwifruit areas except for the South Island and Whangārei. These areas escaped the Psa scourge and no new plant material can be taken into them.
Publication date: 6/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: