Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Extremadura will enforce measures to address cherry price gap
Extremadura's Councillor for the Environment and Rural, Agricultural and Territorial Policies, Begoña García, will ask the Observatory of Prices in the Food Chain for a report in order to address the gap between the price paid to Jerte cherry producers and the retail price paid by consumers.
This was revealed by the Councillor in an emergency meeting held with the group of cooperatives of the Jerte Valley, agricultural organizations, agro-food cooperatives and the Association of Fruit Growers of Extremadura (Afruex), as reported by the regional government in a press release.
The low temperatures of recent weeks have caused significant delays in the ripening of the Burlat variety, and this has led to market saturation, causing a sharp decline in prices, to the point of making the harvest unviable from a financial point of view.
She explained that the regional government is aware of the problem, which is taking a toll on producers in northern Caceres, and announced that they will work together with the sector to carry out structural improvements, including a switch to new varieties.
Moreover, Extremadura will ask the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food to speed up the process for the signing of the export protocol, so that the sector can enter new countries, especially China.
Publication date: 6/13/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: