Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras has exported 30,000 containers of bananas this year
So far this year, Honduras has exported some 30,000 containers of bananas for more than 523 million dollars (i.e. some 12,604 million lempiras).
Mauricio Guevara, the Minister of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (SAG), said the fruit sector was maintaining operations.
"The idea is to expand some areas and increase productivity. Our commitment is to do this through technology and improving basic practices in export crops," he said.
The sector needs investment, so we'll implement an integrative model in which small producers receive technical assistance and technology so that they can sell their products, the official said.
Increase in banana exports
According to the Central Bank of Honduras (BCH), revenues from banana exports in 2017 were 2.7% higher than those registered in 2016.
Sales increased by 13.7 million dollars compared to 2016.
Last year, the country exported around 32,422 boxes (of 18 kilos each) of bananas.
The average price of the box of bananas stood at 16.12 dollars, 7.6% more than the 14.98 dollars achieved in 2016, according to the bank.
Last year, the United States and Ireland were the main market destinations of the Honduran bananas.
In 2017, bananas became the country's second most important agricultural export product, as a result of the problems faced by Ecuador, which leads this field.
Publication date: 6/13/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: