Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigerian expert makes case for improved plantain and pineapple productionActing Executive Director of the National Horticultural Research Institute in Oyo State, dr. Abayomi Olaniyan has made a case for the massive growth of plantain and cassava by farmers, emphasizing their proven medical and industrial relevance.
Olaniyan, who spoke at a training workshop for farmers, remarked that as the fifth largest plantain producing country in the world, the production of the crop must be considered at the national and global agricultural policy levels.
The director stated that plantain is a low capital agribusiness, very lucrative and that it can be cultivated in almost all Nigerian soil. “Plantain is very easy to cultivate and maintain, unlike other cash crops that require so much time and money to maintain. Plantain fruits all year round, which makes the crop a more reliable all season staple food production. Additionally, the demand for plantain is high because it is consumed by different people and is also used as raw materials.”
According to guardian.ng, the director noted that if current production and marketing trends are encouraged, commercial production for export and local consumption can be enhanced. While listing the various uses of pineapple, he advised that in order to avoid the pitfalls of the past, it is important to create awareness among stakeholders and deliberately cultivate a widespread attitude of employing improved production techniques.
Publication date: 6/11/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: