Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico: Plantain producers resume commercial activities
Plantain producers will continue their fight until the price of the fruit stabilizes, stated Leonardo Nava Pazos, a producer of the community El Pital. They will ensure that the price they agreed on is respected.
He said they would visit the scales and shopping centers on a daily basis to prevent intermediaries who don't want to pay the agreed price from taking advantage of producers; something that has already happened, as intermediaries want to acquire the product at the same cost as it had last week. As a result, producers had to, once again, paralyze the marketing until they were offered more than $ 1.50 per kilogram.
He also said this wasn't a regional problem because it also happened in other banana areas of the country. To avoid this situation, he said, they were maintaining close communication with the producers of Tabasco, Chiapas, and Colima who know the daily marketing prices, to stop coyotes or intermediaries from taking advantage of producers.
There is a scarce national production of plantain, so prices should be favorable for producers. However, there was a lack of organization to stop the abuse in the marketing of the fruit, which drastically affected producers. Hopefully, this will be the moment when things start to change for producers.
Publication date: 6/11/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: