Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Soroti Fruit Processing Factory
Uganda: Fruit factory in Teso region to start in AugustFruit farmers in Uganda’s Teso region are going to have their work cut out for them when the Soroti Fruit Processing Factory starts producing juice in August.
This proposed date was disclosed during a tour of the factory by the minister of Trade and Industry, Amelia Kyambadde, and members of the board of Uganda Development Corporation (UDC). The factory is expected to process over six tons of oranges, two tons of mangoes and four tons of pineapples per hour.
This is expected to put a lot of pressure on the would-be fruit suppliers. Currently, the Teso sub region has three million fruit trees with a potential production of 600,000 tons of fruit per year, far less than the required quantities.
Emmanuel Mutahunga, the acting executive director Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) said they have trained a number of farmers and given them seedlings to help enable them to supply the factory.
All the machinery has been installed and dry tests have been done. The wet tests with actual fruits will start in June. According to nilepost.co.ug, the contract for the construction of the Soroti Fruit Factory was awarded to Hwanshin Uganda Limited for a sum of $7.4 million some years ago.
Publication date: 5/18/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: