Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Shortage of workers to harvest asparagus in Germany
Deutsche Welle has reported that German producers are facing a shortage of seasonal workers to harvest asparagus. Romanians and Poles, who usually do this kind of work, have failed to come this year.
Juergen Jakobs, chairman of the Beparitz Asparagus Association, told reporters that the lack of hands to work is becoming more and more of an issue, and that this year, many of the labourers who always come were not there anymore.
Of the 350 employees from Romania and Poland ordered by his company, 85 did not show up to work. Many of his colleagues have given up on asparagus this season due to the lack of staff.
According to Deutsche Welle, growers must compete for employees with other industries, including construction, which pay higher minimum wages.
Publication date: 5/16/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: