- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- European Union president eyes free trade pact with Africa
- Rand drops further after disappointing figures
- Next round of tariffs may hit container shipping harder
- Precision apple research: target orchard practices for success
- Mexico: "6 out of every 10 papayas consumed in North America are from Colima"
Top 5 -last week
Ever heard of a ‘horned cucumber’ that tastes like banana?
Five cool African fruits and vegetables
Also known as pigweed or marog in South Africa, the African amaranth is a leafy green that grows in abundance in low-lying sub-tropical areas. It is thought to be Africa’s most consumed leafy green. It is packed with nutrients specifically Vitamin K which plays a key role in blood clotting and preventing excessive bleeding. Pigweed got its name because of its ubiquitousness. It tastes a lot like spinach.
The African Nightshade is another popular leafy green found in tropical parts of Africa. It belongs to the tomato, potato and eggplant family. The leaves are blanched or boiled in stews or served as a side dish. It is extremely high in Vitamin C and beta-carotene and a good source of fibre and protein.
The leaves and tender stems of this tropical plant are eaten boiled, stewed, stir-fried, or added to soups. It is sometimes boiled down to a sticky leaf mass and used as a vegetarian spread on bread. The dried leaves are used to make tea or added as soup thickener. Jute mallow is also known as Jew’s mallow and bush okra but has many other indigenous names. It is extremely high in beta-carotene, Vitamin C, folic acid and iron.
The African eggplant is found across sub-Saharan Africa and is recognised by its blood red to orange fruit. It is also called bitter tomato or scarlet eggplant. The fruit of the African eggplant is between 5-10cm long and is eaten boiled, steamed, pickled, or in stews with other vegetables or meats. Young leaves are cut and used in soups. The fruit are less nutritious than the leaves.
African horned cucumber
Indigenous to Southern Africa, the horned cucumber is often used for its ornamental value. It grows much like the English cucumber with hairy leaves and stems. The fruit has a soft shell covered in prominent spines and turns yellow to orange when ripe. It tastes like a combination of cucumber and zucchini with mild banana flavour and the large pips are slightly sweet. It can be eaten fresh or boiled. The fruit is high in Vitamin C and fibre.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 China: Online trade of fresh produce increased by 23.5% in first half of 2018
- 10/19/2018 Illegal imports of fruit and vegetables affecting Balochistan farmers
- 10/19/2018 UK reliance on Spanish horticulture is a fact
- 10/19/2018 India: Rising freight rates & traffic stops trouble Kashmir’s apple exports
- 10/19/2018 Sodexo embraces wonky fruit and vegetables
- 10/19/2018 Kenya to export over 40 percent of avocados & other fresh produce to China
- 10/18/2018 Peach and nectarine campaign completed
- 10/18/2018 Egyptian company Wadi El Nile aims to increase its exports to $12 mln next year
- 10/18/2018 Prices on Bonaire and Saba rising more than on St Eustatius
- 10/17/2018 Did Fresno Unified School district overpay by hundreds of thousands of dollars?
- 10/17/2018 The challenges of the Agri-food sector
- 10/17/2018 Moving location of fruit and vegetables in shops can lead to 15% sales increase
- 10/17/2018 Costa Rica works hard to expand export trade with China
- 10/17/2018 'Hungarian vegetable harvest steady around 1.9 mln tons'
- 10/16/2018 Romania imports 10 times more fruit and vegetables than it exported
- 10/16/2018 Taiwan to expand trade with Turkey
- 10/16/2018 Argentina has potential to export more fruit, but it must improve quality
- 10/16/2018 Minister Mwanamveka unhappy that Malawi is importing bananas
- 10/16/2018 Food products from Philippines aim for export to Russia
- 10/16/2018 Indonesian Minister of Agriculture Amran opens export market of mangosteen to Taiwan