Titled - ‘Dried fruit and public health: What does the evidence tell us?’ – the workshop will take place Thursday 7th June at The King’s Fund, London W1 and will be introduced by Simon Melik, Chairman, National Dried Fruit Trade Association and chaired by Professor Julie Lovegrove, Director of Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition and Deputy Director of the Institute for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research at the University of Reading. Professor Lovegrove will be introducing seven influential speakers who will each be discussing scientific research studies in relation to dried fruit. Speakers and topics to be covered include:
- Sigrid Gibson, MA, MSc RNutr, Director Sig-Nurture Ltd: The composition and classification of dried fruit and contribution to intakes of fibre and sugars
- Professor Kevin Whelan, Professor of Dietetics and Head of Department of Nutritional Sciences at King’s College London: Dried fruit and digestive health
- Dr Michele Sadler, Director, Rank Nutrition Ltd: Dried fruit and dental health – what is the evidence?
- Dr Nigel Carter OBE, BDS, LDS (RCS), CEO Oral Health Foundation and Chair of the Platform for Better Oral Health in Europe: What should dental advice be for snacking?
- Professor Graham Finlayson, Chair in Psychobiology, School of Psychology, University of Leeds: Dried fruit and appetite (the psychology of snacking in relation to obesity
- Professor Gary Williamson, Professor and Chair at the School of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Leeds: Antioxidants and phytonutrients in dried fruit and their potential to contribute to public health
- Dr Marie Ann Ha, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medical Science, Anglia Ruskin University and Director of East Anglia Food Link: Consistency of public health advice for fruit and dried fruit
For more information: ndfta.org