Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- “Europe is literally waiting for every lemon”
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Short supply of raspberries fueling strong market
Supplies of raspberries are remaining tight as US domestic production has yet to see good volume, with Mexico supplying the bulk of demand. Rain in California is affecting supplies, while in Mexico, conditions are very favorable, and growers are seeing good quality product coming through.
"Our current production is coming out of Jalisco, Mexico, and will continue to do so through June," said Evan Pence of Dole Berry Company. "Jalisco is a fantastic growing region that produces top-quality berries. Currently supplies are extremely tight, causing this strong uptick in the US market that we are currently seeing. Our principle varieties that we are shipping from Mexico are exhibiting high-quality, bright color, good size and good arrivals."
Demand and market strong
Along with supplies being very short, demand is also strong. Not surprisingly, the market is very high, with prices at a premium. This is not expected to ease for at least a couple of weeks, until domestic production can begin with any meaningful volume. "Demand is strong, about as strong as we see throughout the year, and will likely continue this way for a at least a few weeks," Pence observed.
Pence also noted that retailers have been responding positively to Mexican berries, with Dole able to offer an almost year round program. "Our Mexican varieties have been positively received by retailers throughout North America," he said. "Our well-rounded, balanced and comprehensive berry program is available almost year-round."
Presence at CPMA
The Dole Berry Company will be exhibiting at next month's CPMA show in Vancouver. Pence sees it as an opportunity to connect with their Canadian customers as he said they form a strong part of Dole's business.
"Canada represents a great percentage of our core business, during both domestic and import production seasons," he said. "We value our Canadian partnerships greatly and are looking forward to meeting our customers in Vancouver next month."
Those attending CPMA can visit Dole at booth #1015.
For more information:
Dole Berry Company
Tel: +1 (831) 241-1676
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: