Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Socially conscious blueberry program links consumers with farmers
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras: Bananas account for more than 10% of exports
According to statistics, the banana sector's exports account for more than ten percent of all the agricultural sector's exports.
This year, the sector expects an increase because of the prices in the international market, said German Perez, a businessman from the sector.
Perez said the sector had been affected in recent days by natural factors and the strikes promoted by the employees of Honduran banana companies, which led to a decrease in the supply of the main banana producers, including Honduras.
Last year, banana exports accounted for 11.5 percent of the country's total exports. Honduras exported 32.4 million boxes of 40 pounds at an average price of 16.12 dollars.
This price was 1.14 dollars better than the price achieved in 2016 and, even though exports declined, revenues increased.
This year, exports have decreased because of the recent strikes.
In the last two years the sector has experienced an annual growth and achieved an income of 500 million dollars a year.
In 2017, fruit exports to the international market surpassed 600 million dollars.
Publication date: 4/4/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: