Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
- “Increased availability will boost US lemon consumption”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras: Bananas account for more than 10% of exports
According to statistics, the banana sector's exports account for more than ten percent of all the agricultural sector's exports.
This year, the sector expects an increase because of the prices in the international market, said German Perez, a businessman from the sector.
Perez said the sector had been affected in recent days by natural factors and the strikes promoted by the employees of Honduran banana companies, which led to a decrease in the supply of the main banana producers, including Honduras.
Last year, banana exports accounted for 11.5 percent of the country's total exports. Honduras exported 32.4 million boxes of 40 pounds at an average price of 16.12 dollars.
This price was 1.14 dollars better than the price achieved in 2016 and, even though exports declined, revenues increased.
This year, exports have decreased because of the recent strikes.
In the last two years the sector has experienced an annual growth and achieved an income of 500 million dollars a year.
In 2017, fruit exports to the international market surpassed 600 million dollars.
Publication date: 4/4/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: