- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- “QTee can reach more markets than Conference”
- 2018 South China Fruit Industry Conference to be held in Shenzhen
- Costa Rica: Authorities capture drug traffickers smuggling cocaine in pineapples to Europe
- "Our first batch of Panzhihua Mango has been exported to Russia this year"
- Europe: Acquisition of organic food retailers
Top 5 -last week
- CT Tecnova, wins prize for technological innovation
- Egypt: Agriculture Ministry to open new market for garlic in Indonesia
- European Commission to keep the special and reinforced controls on Turkish lemons for 2018-2019 season
- Mexican state of Quintana Roo invested 85 million
- Costa Rica: Two pineapple export companies raided
UK: Ishida weighers played key role in growth of specialist salad producer
Nine Ishida multihead weighers, including three recently-installed from the company’s latest state-of-the-art RV range, are weighing a wide variety of salad products, packed into both bags and salad bowls, delivering excellent accuracy, speed and reliability.
A family-owned and run business, Bryans Salads is a BRC Grade A V7 supplier of pre-packed salads and vegetables to both the retail and foodservice sector. With orders received one day for delivery the next, a fast and reliable weighing and packing operation is absolutely essential to the business.
“When we first started our own processing and packing, we selected a different weigher but realised the error of our ways!” comments Jon Bragg, the company’s Chief Operating Officer.
“Our experience has been that Ishidas are the best multihead weighers – if you are going to buy one, they are the ones to choose. Selecting Ishida over the competition is a bit like choosing a Porsche in preference to a Ford.”
The weighers are handling a wide variety of pack sizes, ranging from 90g to 250g for retail and 250g to 1kg for foodservice, with accuracy to within 2g on a typical 100g pack of mixed leaves. Packing speeds are dependent on the capability of the bagmaker and the nature of the product – heavier items fall more quickly into the bag – but average speeds are around 40 packs per minute.
Four of the Ishida weighers are operating across two salad bowl packing lines. On each line, one weigher is dedicated to a base leaf mix and the other to a topping, such as mixed peppers. A dipping funnel beneath the weighers empties first the leaf mix before the bowl moves forward to accept the topping.
The weighers are working in excess of 12 hours every day. As well as their accuracy and speed, Jon Bragg cites their reliability and ease of use as major benefits.
“The Ishidas are literally plug and play – you switch them on and they continue to operate consistently and reliably, so we experience minimal downtime. And the touch screen means set-up and operation are very simple to perform.”
The weighers undergo a deep cleandown at the end of each shift, with their waterproof construction and removable parts enabling fast and hygienic cleaning.
“The weighers have proved an excellent long term investment,” concludes Jon Bragg. “Evidence of their longevity is the fact that when cleaned, our 2009 models look just as good as the more recent additions.”
Bryans Salads first diversified into the production of ready-prepared salads in 1997 and remains the only UK grower to supply its own lettuce, with most of its crops grown within a one mile radius of its processing site. Today the company processes around 350 tonnes of product every week. Its recent success had led to a huge growth in turnover since 2009, up from £3.8 million to £30 million today.
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0) 1332 293939
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/14/2018 Vanmark announces new facility in India
- 09/06/2018 Drones against red spider mites
- 09/06/2018 New safety device for K8 asparagus harvesters
- 09/05/2018 Machinery to sort ripe fruit
- 09/04/2018 Automated box tipper designed to eliminate manual labor
- 09/04/2018 Robotic harvesting UK
- 09/04/2018 Just watch this: Harvesting prunes in Sacramento Valley
- 09/04/2018 Ishida provides solution for salad weighing
- 08/31/2018 AU: There is no reason every farm cannot make some energy savings
- 08/27/2018 Trayfiller for various types of lettuce
- 08/23/2018 Key Technology and Heat and Control form strategic partnership
- 08/23/2018 Proseal follows Queen's Award with new TTe tray sealer
- 08/22/2018 Modern processing with a new air drying tunnel
- 08/21/2018 “Sometimes the need for flexibility is bigger than for capacity”
- 08/20/2018 Digital sorter for fresh-cut leafy greens
- 08/16/2018 Potato processing technology in Germany
- 08/16/2018 A new generation of punching machines
- 08/16/2018 Conveyor-belt drier, Spiral Washer and Belt Slicer have been improved
- 08/16/2018 Asparagus Platform presents autonomous harvesting machine
- 08/09/2018 Higher production with double line traysealer