- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- "Apple varieties will be a key factor even more this coming season"
- Zaad Holdings acquires Sakata Seed America’s onion breeding program
- Citri&Co strengthens its position in Europe
- James Hutton Institute looks to New Zealand to help improve fruit flavour
- Strong first half results with refreshed strategy for Scales Corp Ltd.
Top 5 -last week
MacFry Academy opens its doors to potato growers
The Academy is a joint initiative between NIAB and McDonald’s UK and Ireland, in association with potato suppliers McCain Foods and Lamb Weston, aimed at the 209 farmers that supply the potatoes for McDonald's iconic French Fries at their 1,270 restaurants across the UK.
In 2015 McDonald’s made a commitment to source 100% British potatoes for all their UK fries. As the business sources in excess of 280,000 tonnes of British potatoes each year, the MacFry Potato Academy will be a key component in ensuring a vibrant and sustainable potato industry that can secure a growing volume of great quality ingredients. McDonald’s UK Agriculture Manager, Peter Garbutt said, “The MacFry Academy is part of our commitment to helping UK potato farmers to run thriving businesses and continue to supply high quality potatoes that make perfect MacFries for our restaurants.”
NIAB’s Steven Tompkins said, “Utilising our highly successful ARTIS training platform, www.artistraining.com, we have designed a bespoke programme of technical training to equip the next generation of McDonald’s growers with the skills to grow the perfect potato for the production of McFries. Each stage of the crop’s management, from seed production through to nutrition, water management, farm safety and storage, is covered taking into account the key requirements for McDonald’s, such as long tuber length.”
A select group of farmers attended the inaugural course in February, with five days of intensive classroom training at NIAB in Cambridge. Academy graduates have access to digital crop modelling and irrigation scheduling tools, developed by NIAB CUF, to put the knowledge they have learnt into practice on their own farms.
Ben Sykes, of J Sykes & Sons in Tadcaster, who attended the Academy said, “The course has been a great opportunity to take a step back from the day to day business and think more strategically about how we plan all aspects of the crop to maximise returns.”
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 ‘All preconditions for potatoes export to EU market fulfilled’
- 09/21/2018 Potato prices soar in Spain
- 09/21/2018 TAAT sweet potato compact launched in Accra
- 09/21/2018 US Market and Crop update onions
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves
- 09/18/2018 Market and Crop Update for September 13, 2018
- 09/18/2018 International potato sales highest ever for the United States
- 09/18/2018 France: "Surfaces planted with traditional shallots in decline"
- 09/17/2018 Potato Europe 2018: Focus on seeds, machinery and storage technology
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Potato harvest kicks off harvest in Bolu
- 09/17/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/17/2018 India: Nafed to begin disposal of 13k tons of buffer onion stock
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Onion harvest has started in Bandirma
- 09/14/2018 Germany faces potato shortage after record hot, dry summer
- 09/14/2018 "Calmer atmosphere on the Dutch markets"
- 09/14/2018 "Luckily we made some headway with bale prices"