Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
US Defense report: Pacific commissaries save millions, customers pay the priceThe US Department of Defense has confirmed that the new system for getting fruits and vegetables to commissaries in Japan and South Korea is saving the government $38 million a year, but at the expense of commissary customers. Prices are now 21 percent to 32 percent higher than under the previous contract.
The Defense Commissary Agency just didnít analyze how the new system would affect customer prices and fresh produce quality. They also didnít adequately evaluate the feasibility of getting fresh produce items from in-country sources for commissaries in the Pacific theatre.
Furthermore, a majority of commissary customers surveyed rated the quality of fresh produce in the commissary to be worse than the quality of fresh produce sold at local markets in Japan and South Korea. Yet commissary prices were 27 percent to 45 percent higher than local market prices.
According to militarytimes.com, commissary customers in Japan and South Korea are paying an average of 49 percent more for fresh fruits and vegetables than they paid at this time last year.
Publication date: 3/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: