Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Frost causes damage in Scanzano Jonico
The late February, frost hit various areas of Metaponto (Basilicata). Strawberry flowers under polytunnels weren't damaged that much, so production won't be affected. As for stone fruit, however, flowers that had already blossomed were hit rather hard, while it is still early to make an assessment for the late varieties.
Almanebo blossoming in Scanzano Jonico, 7th March 2018
On 7th March 2018, FreshPlaza visited the Vincenzo Sabato facility in Scanzano Jonico (Matera), which grows 4 hectares of Sabrosa strawberries as well as lower quantities of Fortuna. As confirmed by technicians Alfredo Carullo and Giovanni Persiani from "Piraccini Secondo", strawberries weren't affected that badly. There are indeed a few black flowers, but production won't be too penalised.
Strawberry flowers damaged by the frost
The 7,000 Adelita raspberry plants were also spared. Quality is good and prices are currently high.
Damaged peach flowers
In order to protect raspberries, the company has installed sprinklers that spray water on plastic films when the temperature drops close to zero. This maintains the temperature in polytunnels slightly higher.
The flowers of the Almanebo nectarine variety were still closed, so it seems part of the production was spared. Earlier varieties were instead heavily damaged.
Publication date: 3/12/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: