Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Zespri accused of 'violating Chinese law'Zespri made changes to its website after a notification by New Zealand Trade Enterprise that they were exposed to political and business risks if they didn't acknowledge Hong Kong and Taiwan as regions, rather than countries. Naming Hong Kong and Taiwan as separate countries on a website is an act the Chinese perceive as a serious violation to their national laws.
Last January, the Marriott International hotel chain had to apologise and condemn "separatists" in China after the Beijing government shut down its website over wording, which suggested some Chinese regions were separate countries.
At the time China's internet watchdog said the hotelier had "seriously violated national laws and hurt the feelings of the Chinese people" by naming a number of regions, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, as separate countries.
Stuff.co.nz describes how this extreme reaction prompted New Zealand Trade Enterprise to check New Zealand businesses operating globally for the wording they used on their own websites.
In a statement, Zespri spokeswoman Rachel Lynch said the company reviewed the 'select your region' part of the website earlier this year to "align with the websites of other large New Zealand companies and feedback from New Zealand government officials".
Both Zespri and NZTE both avoided media questions about any political or business risks; Zespri now lists Hong Kong and Taiwan as regions.
Publication date: 3/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: