Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Low retail price of Chilean cherries pushes up sales volume
According to San Nong Zhongguo, the exquisite quality of cherries has always been evident in a high price that made it difficult for common people to enjoy the fruit. In the last two years, however, the price of cherries has decreased year after year. And this year, the price of imported cherries was cut in half again. The main reason for this development is the abundant harvest of Chilean cherries, which caused an overall increase in production volume and therefore a drop in sales prices.
China has chartered more flights and more cargo ships since last year to increase the opportunity for Chinese consumers to eat cheap and tasty foreign fruit. Furthermore, the shortened transport time and the shortened turnover time has led to a lower overall transport cost. Cargolux opened up a direct route to Zhengzhou in 2017, called the "Silk Road in the Sky". The Chilean cherries fly directly into China.
As far as the retail conditions in recent years are concerned, the retail volume of high-quality fruits shows a steady growth. The price of high-quality fruit has certainly been lower in the last two years than it was in the years before then. The trade volume continues to increase, and so does the demand volume. Whereas high-quality fruit previously accounted for 30% of Chinese fruit trade, now that is already up to 40%.
Publication date: 3/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: