Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
South African agriculture grows 17.7% after droughtsIn 2017, the South African agricultural economy grew by 17.7 percent, following an extended contraction caused by the El Niño-induced drought in 2015 and 2016, a drought which resulted in failed crops and livestock deaths.
The Agricultural Business Chamber (Agbiz) said the growth was as a result of strong output in sub-sectors, including field crops, livestock and horticulture. It said the country’s agricultural exports grew past the $10 billion mark for the first time, rising 15 percent year-on-year. The surge was boosted by growth in exports of -among others- fruits, beverages, spirits and vegetables.
According to an article on iol.co.za, this led to agricultural gross domestic product growth of 37.5 percent quarter-on-quarter in the fourth quarter of 2017, following 41.1 percent quarter-on-quarter growth in the third quarter.
This was against Agbiz expectations of a moderate growth pace at levels below 20 percent, but they warned, however, that the agricultural sector could slow in performance in 2018.
Publication date: 3/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: