Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru: 2017 avocado exports totalled $580 millionPeru exported 247,000 tons of avocados worth $580 million in 2017, positioning itself as the world's second-largest supplier of this fruit. According to the Agriculture and Irrigation Ministry, shipments of this Peruvian product —mainly Hass avocados— grew in volume (27%) and value (46%) compared to 2016.
The main destinations for this fruit were the Netherlands, the United States, Spain, England, China, and Chile; together, they received 95% of the country's total exported value. Additionally, national production of avocados exceeded 470,000 tons in 2017, a 3.4% increase compared to 2016.
According to an article by andina.com, the Ministry highlighted the good dynamism witnessed in the production of the southern (+15%) and northern (+12%) zones.
The regions which managed to increase their output levels the most in 2017 -despite Coastal El Niño phenomenon impacts- were Ayacucho (+49%), Arequipa (+26%), Lambayeque (+20%), La Libertad (+11%), and Junin (+7%).
It must be noted avocado is currently the third most important agro export product of Peru, behind coffee and grapes. The country was regarded as the world's second-largest avocado exporter, in volume, only surpassed by Mexico.
Publication date: 3/7/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: