Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Company says 'less than pretty' avocados are also tasty
Mission Produce today announced the launch of a new product, Emeralds in the Rough, two- and three pound bags of grade 2 avocados. These avocados are the interesting little fellas that aren’t quite “pretty” enough for the main stage. Peculiar and marred – weather blemished, imperfect and how should we say this…wonderfully wonky. Regardless, these less attractive avocados taste just as amazing as their more beautiful (grade 1) brothers and sisters and have a sense of humor about it. Just read the bag.
Grade 2 avocados are typically sold to foodservice distributors and industrial users in bulk configurations. The external scars and blemishes that contribute to an avocado’s downgrade haven’t been widely merchandised at retail. However, these characteristics do not affect the internal quality or taste of the fruit. Additionally, timing is right as there is a developing awareness and acceptance at the consumer level for visually imperfect produce items.
According to Denise Junqueiro, Director of Marketing for Mission, this is a movement that is good for the industry. “This is agriculture and not every piece of fruit is picture perfect. We created Emeralds in the Rough to showcase how beautiful and tasty every avocado is even when it’s blemished. We wanted the packaging to be vibrant and draw in shoppers. The copy is fun, and the design provides the ability for in-and-out promotions,” said Junqueiro.
“This product has a lot of things going for it; rising consumption of imperfect fruit, a propensity for sustainable products, smart design and average lower cost,” says Patrick Cortes, Director of Sales for Mission. He continues, “We see Emeralds in the Rough as a promotional item, available certain times of year when the trees have more grade 2 fruit. This will alleviate the pressure to move it only through foodservice at the times we have abundant grade 2 avocados.”
“Emeralds in the Rough are for the savvy avocado eater who can see past the rough exterior to get to that green gold. With demand constantly on the rise, we are confident this bag will be a treasure for consumers and retailers alike,” adds Brent L. Scattini, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Mission. “This product will add to Mission’s repertoire of products that fill specific needs for our growing customer base.”
For more information:
+1 (805) 981-3650
Publication date: 3/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: