- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Steady season for California cactus pear fruit
The fruit, also known as Opuntia ficus-indica or Indian Figs, are grown by D’Arrigo in Gonzales, CA approximately 20 miles south of their Salinas Headquarters. Competition meanwhile comes from Mexico and Italy. However, Besaw notes that typically the fruit season from those countries are during California’s off-season, though some growing seasons do overlap.
East Coast demand
Demand meanwhile for the fruit comes from mostly Eastern Canada and the East Coast including New York, New Jersey, Florida, Boston and some in the Los Angeles market. “It’s a popular ethnic item typically most popular amongst Italian and Hispanic communities,” says Besaw.
D’Arrigo has a puree processing plant in Gonzales, CA and they sell the magenta colored puree to companies that further process the puree to create cactus pear juices, sorbets, bar mixers, spirits, and cactus pear waters, including a newer product, CaliWater. “We’ve seen demand for our puree increase over the last few years,” says Besaw.
For more information:
Tel : +1-831-455-4316
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/24/2018 Colombia: European businessmen in Pereira get to know the Hass avocado offer
- 09/24/2018 Camposol's growth, limited by lower sales of avocados
- 09/24/2018 ''South American season of air-shipped mangoes in full swing''
- 09/24/2018 China : Jinxiang garlic prices rise as Mid-Autumn festival approaches
- 09/21/2018 First export of red-heart kiwifruit from Liupanshui to Russia
- 09/21/2018 Organic industry in Thailand increases production for China
- 09/21/2018 "50% of kiwi-berries lost because of rainfall and floodwater"
- 09/21/2018 Taiwan's government hopes that garlic farmers will reduce production by 10%
- 09/21/2018 First batch of New Zealand avocados hits the Chinese market
- 09/21/2018 'Spooky Foods' campaign to entice more shoppers to buy exotic produce
- 09/21/2018 Australian mango season heats up in Northern Territory
- 09/21/2018 Grower sues Miami competitor over hot-selling avo
- 09/21/2018 Kenya: Nairobians are going crazy about pineapple peels
- 09/21/2018 Australian project helps Vietnamese mango famers
- 09/20/2018 Costa Rica's exotic fruit has opportunities in Canada
- 09/20/2018 North Florida: Cold hardy avocados
- 09/20/2018 Mexico: Growing interest in fig crops in Michoacan
- 09/20/2018 Excellent quality but lower yields for pomegranates
- 09/20/2018 Mexico: "6 out of every 10 papayas consumed in North America are from Colima"
- 09/20/2018 Kiwiberries on the market and gaining popularity