Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
China: The growing importance of packaging
At present, while agricultural product variety becomes richer every day, there are also significant changes in the way people conceptualize consumption, and in their patterns of purchase, as well as the systems by which they value businesses. Unlike a few years ago, when consumers only paid attention to the price, nowadays consumers pay attention to information on the production area, and specific properties of product varieties. Among all these different concerns, the packaging of a product has become an import point of orientation for consumers with regard to product and business value.
Exquisitely-packaged Japanese strawberries
When it comes to packaging of agricultural products, there is no doubt that Japan is one of the countries where people pay most attention to packaging. The packaging of Japanese products shows profound consideration, not only in the way designers create shapes or apply colors, but also in the way designers pay attention during the designing process, to the environmental impact of the material they select. They even consider whether the material can be recycled. In truth, their diligent design for packaging has succeeded in drawing the attention of the domestic market and from people abroad. This has proven to be a decisive factor in the sales of "heavenly-priced" individually packaged fruit.
Soft-packaged Japanese eggplant
Many packaging traders and dealers of Chinese brands are aware of the importance of product packaging. They have visited Japan to investigate businesses and draw lessons from their experience in the hope that implementation will add value to their own products. This is without a doubt an important motivation and should be encouraged. In recent years, the domestic market has seen the arrival of many well-packaged products that deserve praise. However, the market has also seen the rise of products with excessive packaging. This has the opposite effect. Therefore, while we draw reasonable lessons from successful experiences in the Japanese packaging industry, we should also be aware of national conditions and differences in the packaging requirements of products. We have to make sure that we implement these lessons to the right degree.
Chinese fruit packaging
The Chinese packaging industry still faces a number of challenges. One such challenge is to achieve uniformity in packaging shapes. Another challenge is the inability of packaging trademarks to display specific product characteristics. Overall, however, the packaging industry already made great improvements in the last few years. At present, there are three important developments: first, the rise of small-scale, exquisitely-packaged products. The pace of life in China has become faster, and consumers lean more and more towards products they can easily purchase and consume immediately. Second, there is more and more diversity.
The combination of several different pieces of fruit packaged together is quite suitable to satisfy consumer demand for variety. Third, there is more demand for gifts. Fruit, and high-quality fruit in particular, has always been the first choice for visitors to bring as a gift for relatives and friends. The exquisitely-packaged gift boxes receive a warm welcome from consumers far and wide during the festive season.
Publication date: 3/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: