- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Egypt: Only certified farms allowed to export Pomegranates this season
- Queensland strawberry industry calls for calm in wake of tampering issue
- China: JD.com wants to ship fruit from all over the world to China in 48 hours
- Claas van Os leaving Levarht
- Kiwiberries on the market and gaining popularity
The trend of the online food trade
Germany: Amazon vs Uber - delivery to the last mile
Click here for the full Amazon vs Uber analysis graph
A study from last year showed that one in five people have already bought fresh food online. However, another 10% of respondents said they would like to try this in the near future. So the online food trade will continue to pick up speed - driven by various developments. Here is a selection:
Diverse Players: Not just supermarkets sell food online
It's not just traditional supermarkets like Rewe or Edeka that offer their products online. AllyouneedFresh, for example, is a virtual supermarket that exclusively offers its products online. And Amazon has also expanded its product range with food and offers it via their Prime Service or Amazon Fresh. The acquisition of Whole Food last year has given this situation an extra push: The Amazon Fresh service was able to increase its sales between September and December 2017 by 35%.
Same day delivery
Customers expect flexibility, speed and security in the delivery options of online retailers. Same-day delivery is referred to as the "holy grail" of online retail. And for good reason: those who offer a huge selection and can send orders in the shortest possible time and at the lowest cost, has virtually won. Amazon has tested Same Day Delivery 2009 and is now shaping customer expectations: these customers require flexibility, speed and security in the delivery options of online retailers. And the market responds to this: In the US, 51% of services already offer same-day delivery. Bringmeister and Amazon's food service AmazonFresh also offer same-day delivery.
Innovative last-mile solutions
Deliveries on the last mile account for 30% of total logistical costs and are therefore at the heart of smart, cost-effective solutions. Amazon and taxi App Uber are also dedicated to delivery to the last mile. In order to make itself independent and to save costs, Amazon has already established its own delivery service, AmazonFlex, in 2015 in the USA. Here, private individuals become parcel carriers. The Uber service, founded a little while before that, follows the same principle: UberRush offers online shops a flexible delivery service with independent drivers with their own cars. Since November, AmazonFlex is now also available in Berlin. Flex drivers can deliver parcels as well as food.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 China: JD.com wants to ship fruit from all over the world to China in 48 hours
- 09/21/2018 UAE: Etihad refreshes freight network to concentrate on core trade lanes
- 09/20/2018 A.P. Moller - Maersk takes next steps in integration to improve customer experience
- 09/19/2018 "Major lack of space for logistics in the Rotterdam region"
- 09/19/2018 Maersk to change fuel adjustment surcharge ahead of the 2020 sulphur cap
- 09/19/2018 New buildings for Hoogsteder Group: First pile driven into the ground
- 09/18/2018 Will Amazon buy German supermarket chain Real?
- 09/18/2018 Turkish Cargo ships blackberries to Dubai, Jeddah, Riyadh and Hong Kong
- 09/18/2018 Hurricane Florence: Ports of Wilmington and Morehead City remain closed
- 09/17/2018 Coast to coast railroad line across South America planned
- 09/14/2018 India: Coimbatore airport sends first perishable export shipment by bonded trucking
- 09/14/2018 Next round of tariffs may hit container shipping harder
- 09/14/2018 CMA CGM celebrates 40 years
- 09/13/2018 “Asia a growing sales market for fruit and vegetables”
- 09/13/2018 Should shippers pass on congestion costs?
- 09/12/2018 Haulage company Nagel-Group wants to raise prices significantly
- 09/10/2018 Fresh produce send via air freight becoming more popular
- 09/07/2018 “Westland will be completely full in a few years”
- 09/07/2018 MOOY Logistics Waddinxveen becomes Gartner Holland B.V.
- 09/07/2018 Delivery of 14,000-TEU containership “ONE AQUILA”