Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
US market rich with cauliflowerDomestic supplies of cauliflower are looking ample right now.
“Supplies of cauliflower are good here for all this week and next,” says Joe Käslin of Bengard Ranch in Salinas, Ca. “Towards the end of the month, supplies will lighten up quite a bit because we are about 10 days ahead of schedule. It’s just the weather.” Käslin notes the growing region, which for Bengard is Yuma, Az., hasn’t seen much of a winter, so no frost or anything of the like to slow the production down. “Supplies are a little heavier this year than they were last, industry wide too. There’s just more,” he adds, noting that competition is coming in also from Yuma but also Southern California.
Meanwhile demand remains average for now. “With the amount of supplies, it’s average because there’s a lot of product right now because everything’s coming on early,” Käslin notes.
That means sharp price drops compared to last year at this time. “It’s about a 50 percent drop,” says Käslin. “The market right now is $7-$8/FOB and last year we were in the teens. Unfortunately the market’s been down for awhile, all winter long.”
Looking ahead though, things are about to change. “I still see supplies being good for 10 days or so. But I definitely feel supplies will lighten up here by the end of the month,” says Käslin. “Because we’re ahead of schedule and things should go ahead, the market should pick up here as supplies lighten up here.”
For more information:
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: