Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
European Court of Auditors examining organic food control systemThe European Court of Auditors (ECA) is conducting an audit of organic-food checks in the EU. The examination will encompass the control system governing the production, processing, distribution and import of organic products.
They will also try to assess whether consumers can now have greater confidence that products are truly organic than they could at the time of the 2012 audit. The auditors have also published a Background Paper on the EU organic-food control system.
Organic production is a way of producing food and other products that respects natural life cycles. The organic nature of products is verified on the basis of a certification system laid down in EU law and overseen by the European Commission. The system is implemented by the member states and inspections are made by both public and private bodies.
Eureporter.co states that retail sales in the EU organic market grew by 54% between 2010 and 2015. The total area under organic farming in the EU increased by 21% over the same period. Imports of organic produce grew by 32% between 2012 and 2015. Although the price of organic products is higher than that of conventionally produced products, the market struggles to meet demand and the premium that consumers are willing to pay has the potential to encourage fraudulent organic sales.
Publication date: 2/26/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: