Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Welsh grower breaks record
Earliest ever British strawberries on supermarket shelvesThis Thursday, the very first UK strawberries of 2018 went on sale. A Welsh fruit grower has broken the record for picking the earliest ever British strawberries -greenhouse grown- and getting them on the shelves.
The strawberries, grown by Springfield Nursery near Cowbridge (south Wales), went on sale in Tescoís Bridgend Extra store. The discount supermarket Aldi was also selling strawberries at its store in Bridgend.
Once a fleeting treat, associated with the few weeks around Wimbledon, strawberries have now become a staple supermarket item, thanks to a longer British growing season and a supply of imported produce. Historically, in England, strawberries started appearing on 1 May and were available until the end of September.
Theguardian.com reports on the strawberry variety now on sale being the ĎFavorií , which has a distinctive vivid colour and produces large berries that are not too crunchy.
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: