Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Welsh grower breaks record
Earliest ever British strawberries on supermarket shelvesThis Thursday, the very first UK strawberries of 2018 went on sale. A Welsh fruit grower has broken the record for picking the earliest ever British strawberries -greenhouse grown- and getting them on the shelves.
The strawberries, grown by Springfield Nursery near Cowbridge (south Wales), went on sale in Tesco’s Bridgend Extra store. The discount supermarket Aldi was also selling strawberries at its store in Bridgend.
Once a fleeting treat, associated with the few weeks around Wimbledon, strawberries have now become a staple supermarket item, thanks to a longer British growing season and a supply of imported produce. Historically, in England, strawberries started appearing on 1 May and were available until the end of September.
Theguardian.com reports on the strawberry variety now on sale being the ‘Favori’ , which has a distinctive vivid colour and produces large berries that are not too crunchy.
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: