Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
ĎAn apple by any other name would smell as sweet'
Factoids - Apples are members of the rose familyFor anyone who is interested, letís look at some facts regarding agriculture and food. Things you were really always curious about. Maybe.
Did you know apples are a member of the rose family? Fresh apples float because 25 percent of their volume is air. In the winter, apple trees need to "rest" for about 900 to 1,000 hours below 7o C in order to flower and fruit properly. There are more than 7,000 varieties of apples grown in the world.
Archaeologists have found evidence that humans have enjoyed eating apples since 6500 B.C. On average, each of us eats more than 19 pounds of apples annually.
The name asparagus comes from the Greek language and means "sprout" or "shoot." Asparagus is a member of the lily family. Asparagus is related to onions, leeks, and garlic.
Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snakebites. Pumpkins are 90 percent water. In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling. Pumpkins contain potassium and Vitamin A.
The peach is a member of the rose family and will have a sweet fragrance when ripe. Peaches are a good source of Vitamin C.
Broccoli was probably first grown by immigrants from Italy in home gardens. In 1970, consumption of broccoli was only 0.5 pounds per person. Today, the average person in North America eats 4.5 pounds each year.
Lastly, according to a chathamdailynews.ca article, compared to 25 years ago, each American consumes every year an average of 77 pounds more vegetables, 63 pounds more grain products and 54 pounds more fruits.
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: