Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Colombia: Banana production grew by 4.7% in 2017
Colombia, the world's fifth largest banana exporter, produced 97.8 million 20-kilo boxes of bananas in 2017, i.e. 4.7% more than in the previous year and the best volume since 2008, driven by the absence of labor conflicts, stated the banana producers' association.
In 2016, production stood at 93.4 million boxes, according to the Colombian Banana Association (Augura). Colombia achieved its best banana production in 2008, when production stood at 100.1 million boxes.
Banana exports amounted to US $850 million, i.e. 4.7% more than the US $811.6 million achieved in 2016.
"We must highlight the labor peace in the banana industry. It has allowed us to have a good working climate," stated the president of Augura, Juan Camilo Restrepo.
In 2017, the area cultivated with bananas in Colombia increased by 3.8% and amounted to 49,146 hectares.
The main destination for this fruit continued to be the European Union, with 76% of total shipments. It was followed by the United States, with 16%.
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: