- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Cyclone Gita: Large-scale devastation now in New Zealand
Orchards in the Motueka area have been hit hard by flooding from Gita as well. The Nelson region grows a quarter of the country's apples, and in the past week has started harvesting this year's crop. Apple and Pears Inc. chief executive Alan Pollard said the flooding came at a bad time and was a big set-back. "A lot of damage means fruit won't make it to market," he said.
A large part of a Riwaka apple orchard was ruined by floodwaters from Cyclone Gita on Tuesday and the orchardist says the really upsetting part is they won't have another crop for up to seven years. Golden Bay Fruit manager Evan Heywood surveyed one block that's under a sea of mud.
Heywood said that, in the whole rain event, there has fallen about 230 mm, with probably 100 mm of that falling in the three hours at the end of the day after it had been raining all day.
"And that's what has caused this torrent of water that overflowed and the debris that came with it. It was the rivers and creeks that were blocked and then the water spilled out. And the water came over and made a new path straight through here. The really upsetting part is we won't have another crop here for another five, six or seven years, or back to where it was.”
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 China: 6600 square meter plant factory constructed in Chongqing
- 09/21/2018 Colombian woman arrested for coordinating shipments of cocaine hidden in fruit
- 09/21/2018 Map of Africa based on population
- 09/21/2018 United Fresh appoints McDonald’s supply chain leader to Board of Directors
- 09/21/2018 Currency crisis unfolding – Will it catch up to the US?
- 09/21/2018 WTO members demand more clarity on US farm spending
- 09/21/2018 League of Legends’ latest mascot is a giant, talking cabbage roll
- 09/21/2018 Measure taken to keep South Australia fruit fly free
- 09/21/2018 Fresh processor introduces retail packaging featuring TV show branding for preschoolers
- 09/20/2018 US: Agri losses from Florence will be extensive
- 09/20/2018 'South Africa intent on expanding fresh exports to Russia'
- 09/20/2018 Chinese fruit, vegetable, and flower production annually increases
- 09/20/2018 China hits back at Trump: Tariffs on $60 billion of US goods
- 09/20/2018 South African berry and citrus farms introduce comic contracts
- 09/19/2018 New Zealand fears for world trade in wake of Trump's tariffs
- 09/19/2018 US-China trade war offers chances to Malaysian exporters
- 09/19/2018 ‘Afghanistan to export goods via Lapis Lazuli trade route in the near future’
- 09/19/2018 Sri Lanka rupee hits record low of 166.00 per US dollar
- 09/19/2018 ‘Agri renaissance possible for Western Cape’
- 09/19/2018 Some 35 place names in Iceland