Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Jurgen Duthoo, Bart's Potato Company
"Potato exports must be able to meet niche needs"The demand on the potato market is still very quiet. "We have specialised requests at the moment for, for example, good chips potatoes in specialised packaging, but there is no pressure", says Jurgen Duthoo of Bart's Potato Company in Belguim. "We have to contend with a large potato supply from various countries of origin. There is a lot of availability in France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belguim. The buyers have a lot of options when it comes to the few imports, so they are buying a lot."
Jurgen Duthoo and Bart Lamaire of Bart's Potato Company
"There is somewhat more demand compared to a few months ago, but there is no chance of strong growth or a rise in prices. There will, undoubtedly, be more sales, but I doubt that will be enough to raise the price. The quality if the stored potatoes is also good, in general, and those bad quality ones are now off the market", continues Jurgen. "All in all, this is an exceptional year for potatoes. Egypt now has its new harvest on offer, and those prices are not even high."
The export of frozen chips is, in contrast, steady. "Of course there are questions about this. People receive information about the inexpensive European potatoes worldwide. This is, however, something completely different. The contracts with the farmers who grow chips potatoes are, already, made in January and February. You cannot compare it to the fresh market", explains Jurgen.
Publication date: 2/20/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: