- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
For Kenyan farmer and philanthropist
KenyaGAP passion fruits open EU markets
During a visit to the Netherlands the couple realised that while this small north European country is only the size of Central Kenya, it's a major food exporter, known for its advanced agriculture. With this in mind, they sought to marry agriculture and mentoring young people in their hometown of Kitale. They started an agribusiness -on just 2 hectares- to sustain the home with 40 girls and helping them return to school.
Now his farm produces passion fruit and watermelons that he exports to the European Union. They harvest 100 kg’s of passion fruit every week, sort and pack them and export them to the EU.
To be certified to export to the EU, a KenyaGAP certificate is required from the Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK). The process of acquiring this is expensive, tedious and can involve a lot of waiting and repetition. For Mwangi, it was worth it.
The-star.co.ke reports how the income from the fruit sales has sustained his rescue home and transformed the lives of mothers and babies. The girls go back to school and Mwangi pays their fees, thanks to his passion fruit and watermelons.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 First export of red-heart kiwifruit from Liupanshui to Russia
- 09/21/2018 Organic industry in Thailand increases production for China
- 09/21/2018 "50% of kiwi-berries lost because of rainfall and floodwater"
- 09/21/2018 Taiwan's government hopes that garlic farmers will reduce production by 10%
- 09/21/2018 First batch of New Zealand avocados hits the Chinese market
- 09/21/2018 'Spooky Foods' campaign to entice more shoppers to buy exotic produce
- 09/21/2018 Australian mango season heats up in Northern Territory
- 09/21/2018 Grower sues Miami competitor over hot-selling avo
- 09/21/2018 Kenya: Nairobians are going crazy about pineapple peels
- 09/21/2018 Australian project helps Vietnamese mango famers
- 09/20/2018 Costa Rica's exotic fruit has opportunities in Canada
- 09/20/2018 North Florida: Cold hardy avocados
- 09/20/2018 Mexico: Growing interest in fig crops in Michoacan
- 09/20/2018 Excellent quality but lower yields for pomegranates
- 09/20/2018 Mexico: "6 out of every 10 papayas consumed in North America are from Colima"
- 09/20/2018 Kiwiberries on the market and gaining popularity
- 09/20/2018 New Zealand Fuyu persimmon filling gap before California season starts
- 09/19/2018 Gilroy garlic ranch fully supports trade war
- 09/19/2018 Green light for Jamaica to export mangoes to the US
- 09/19/2018 Australian avocado season - Far North Queensland