- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- India: Sheikhpura crowd steals bananas from young fruit vendor
- Spain: Expansion of greenhouse acreage in Eastern Andalusia
- Turkey - Total apple crop expected to increase to 3 million tons, pears to 450,000 tons
- New Zealand asparagus going great as harvesting continues
- Joint agreement to protect onion industry
For Kenyan farmer and philanthropist
KenyaGAP passion fruits open EU markets
During a visit to the Netherlands the couple realised that while this small north European country is only the size of Central Kenya, it's a major food exporter, known for its advanced agriculture. With this in mind, they sought to marry agriculture and mentoring young people in their hometown of Kitale. They started an agribusiness -on just 2 hectares- to sustain the home with 40 girls and helping them return to school.
Now his farm produces passion fruit and watermelons that he exports to the European Union. They harvest 100 kg’s of passion fruit every week, sort and pack them and export them to the EU.
To be certified to export to the EU, a KenyaGAP certificate is required from the Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK). The process of acquiring this is expensive, tedious and can involve a lot of waiting and repetition. For Mwangi, it was worth it.
The-star.co.ke reports how the income from the fruit sales has sustained his rescue home and transformed the lives of mothers and babies. The girls go back to school and Mwangi pays their fees, thanks to his passion fruit and watermelons.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-15 China: Price of wax gourds increased
- 2018-11-15 Brazil authorizes entry of Peruvian pomegranates
- 2018-11-15 Costa Rica: Avocado producers and Government prepare National Avocado Plan
- 2018-11-15 Spain: Pitaya cultivation gaining ground in Malaga
- 2018-11-15 China: Pomelo price drops by over 60%
- 2018-11-15 California bitter melon still on the move
- 2018-11-15 “Sales will start when the Greek kiwifruit is out of the market”
- 2018-11-14 "We have been able to reconcile the parts that make up this great industry"
- 2018-11-14 Colombian exotic fruits for European markets
- 2018-11-14 Zespri extending its season of SunGold kiwifruit
- 2018-11-14 Easy peel avocado launched in the UK
- 2018-11-14 Indian pomegranate exports likely to run into trade roadblocks
- 2018-11-14 Turkey: Fig exports have surpassed 300 million USD
- 2018-11-14 New Zealand case: International rip-off or innocent abroad?
- 2018-11-13 Mexico: Avocado producers on strike due to lower prices
- 2018-11-13 Ecuador can export tree tomatoes to the United States
- 2018-11-13 Good expectations for the export of fresh soursop from Ecuador
- 2018-11-13 NZ: Kiwifruit orchards being sold, Seeka selling $16 million worth of orchards
- 2018-11-13 Persimmon drying season in Japan: What a view
- 2018-11-09 Italy: Fresh pineapples from the DR thanks to air transportation